stamen n : the male reproductive organ of a flower [also: stamina (pl)]stamina n : enduring strength and energy [syn: staying power, toughness]stamina See stamen
EtymologyFrom etyl la stamina, plural of stamen.
- a UK /ˈstamɪnə/
- Plural of stamen
- In the context of "obsolete|as plural": The basic elements of a thing; rudimentary structures or qualities.
- In the context of "now considered singular": The energy and strength for continuing to do something over a long period of time; power of sustained exertion, or resistance to hardship, illness etc.
Stamina may refer to:
- Stamina, the capability of sustaining prolonged stressful effort (see endurance)
- Stamina, the plural of stamen, the male organ of a flower
- Stam1na, a Finnish heavy metal band
- Stamina, a freeware program developed by TypingSoft to teach touch-typing
- Stamina wood, a type of wood laminate typically used in the manufacture of knife handles
application, assiduity, assiduousness, backbone, balls, bottom, bulldog tenacity, chutzpah, cohesiveness, concentration, constancy, courage, decisiveness, diligence, dogged perseverance, doggedness, durability, endurance, energy, engrossment, fidelity, force, fortitude, gameness, grit, guts, gutsiness, guttiness, hardiness, hardness, heart, heart of oak, heartiness, indefatigability, indomitability, industriousness, industry, infrangibility, insistence, insistency, intestinal fortitude, lastingness, leatherlikeness, loyalty, lustihood, lustiness, mettle, mettlesomeness, might, mightiness, moxie, nerve, obstinacy, patience, patience of Job, permanence, perseverance, persistence, persistency, pertinaciousness, pertinacity, pith, plodding, pluck, pluckiness, plugging, potency, power, powerfulness, preoccupation, relentlessness, resistance, resolution, robustness, ropiness, ruggedness, sand, sedulity, sedulousness, single-mindedness, singleness of purpose, slogging, spirit, spunk, spunkiness, stability, stalwartness, starch, staunchness, staying power, steadfastness, steadiness, stick-to-itiveness, sticking power, stiffness, stout heart, stoutness, strength, strength of will, stringiness, stubbornness, sturdiness, tenaciousness, tenacity, tirelessness, toleration, toughness, true grit, unbreakability, unbreakableness, unremittingness, unswerving attention, vigor, vigorousness, viscidity, vitality